Friday, March 11, 2016

Review: Do or Diner by Christine Wenger


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
Paperback

Publisher:
Obsidian Mystery

Release Date:
August 2013







After going through a miserable divorce, Trixie Matkowski is ready to start a brand new life. She moves to upstate New York and buys her aunt’s diner. Trixie is more than a little excited to enter this new endeavor doing what she loves – cooking.

However, things don’t go as smoothly as she would have liked. A bad health inspection leads to the death of the inspector. Unfortunately, the death occurs in Trixie’s diner as the inspector was eating one of her specials. This doesn’t sit well with the town as business takes a nosedive, not to mention that Trixie is the prime suspect in the murder.  She certainly doesn't want to end up penniless and in jail.

The handsome Deputy Ty Brisco is investigating the situation, but Trixie can’t leave her future in someone else’s hands. Against Ty’s wishes, Trixie runs her own investigation and puts herself right in the middle of danger.

This is the first book in the “A Comfort Food Mystery” series.  I’ve been wanting to read this for the longest time and I finally got around to it. It was well worth the wait. It’s filled with colorful characters and a strong heroine who doesn’t intend to sit on the sidelines waiting for her knight in shining armor. She’s a “take action” type of woman.

The relationship between Ty and Trixie grows throughout the book. I’m looking forward to seeing how this develops in future books.

It’s a fast-paced story with dozens of twists and turns. I was totally on the wrong track but towards the end I realized where this story was going. The author did a good job leading the readers astray and giving us a well-written start to, what looks like, a fun series.



For reading challenges:
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2016
Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2016
Foodies Read Reading Challenge 2016
Blogger Shame Reading Challenge 2016

Disclosure: The publisher provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

8 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this one, and the diner pictured on the cover really takes me back to fun times.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't you just imagine sitting on those stools and spinning around and around? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one as well. I mistakenly read no.2 first, but even iut of order found both enjoyable. I like Trixie and her dogged determination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is fantastic! I like visiting diners like that! This sounds like a good series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mysteries are always fun and I love when you have a hard time figuring them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series is on my wish list and it looks amazing! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when the story keeps you guessing most of the way. Makes you burn through those pages. LOL That title made me grin too:)

    Laura @ fuonlyknew

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.