Sunday, May 13, 2018

Review: Hurricane Season by Laurie K. Denton


Genre:
Women’s Fiction

Format:
Audio Book

Publisher:
Brilliance Audio

Release Date:
April 3, 2018






Synopsis from Goodreads:

From the author of the USA Today bestseller The Hideawaycomes another story of families and mending the past.

Betsy and Ty Franklin, owners of Franklin Dairy Farm in southern Alabama, have long since buried their desire for children of their own. While Ty manages their herd of dairy cows, Betsy busies herself with the farm’s day-to-day operations and tries to forget her dream of motherhood. But when her free-spirited sister, Jenna, drops off her two young daughters for “just two weeks,” Betsy’s carefully constructed wall of self-protection begins to crumble.

As the two weeks stretch deeper into the Alabama summer, Betsy and Ty learn to navigate the new additions in their world—and revel in the laughter that now fills their home. Meanwhile, record temperatures promise to usher in the most active hurricane season in decades.

Attending an art retreat four hundred miles away, Jenna is fighting her own battles. She finally has time and energy to focus on her photography, a lifelong ambition. But she wonders how her rediscovered passion can fit in with the life she’s made back home as a single mom.

When Hurricane Ingrid aims a steady eye at the Alabama coast, Jenna must make a decision that will change her family’s future, even as Betsy and Ty try to protect their beloved farm and their hearts. Hurricane Season is the story of one family’s unconventional journey to healing—and the relationships that must be mended along the way.

My Review

Betsy and Ty Franklin do not have children of their own, although they desperately want them. For now, they devote their time to their farm. They are more than a little stunned when Betsy’s sister Jenna drops her two daughters at their farm. Jenna receives a great career opportunity, but it means she has to be away from her children for a little while. Unfortunately, for Betsy, it re-awakens her desire for children of her own.

Jenna’s plans take longer than she expected when her career takes her to all knew heights. She must leave her children for an extended stay, which threatens to tear apart Betsy’s marriage.

When Hurricane Ingrid turns toward Betsy and Ty’s farm, Jenna has to decide between her career and her family.

This is the first time I’ve read anything by this author, but it won’t be my last. The narrator of this audio book made it very easy listening. It had the feel of someone telling a charming story, which left you with a feel good feeling. I’ll be looking for more books by this author.




For reading challenges:
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2018 (Alabama)
Audio Books Reading Challenge 2018

Disclosure: I borrowed this audio book from the library. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. I can relate to hurricanes, we've gone through many of them since moving to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this at the library and wish I would have picked it up. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover caught my eye immediately and the blurb sounds really interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It sounds like it has a lot of heart!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.